Friday, May 8, 2009

Everything but the kitchen sink

It's now day 8 and things are going well in the meatless world. I haven't had another red meat craving since the other night when I was returning home from the gym.

Two things usually happen on a Friday. I either order out or scape together something from the refrigerator. I don't usually have much in the house since my grocery shopping doesn't happen until the weekend. Tonight I had the best intention to try my hand at Tofu Pad Thai. I had such a craving for it but I was missing several ingredients. Armed with my recipe and my debit card, I walked down to the Japanese grocery store. They had the fish sauce but no tamarind paste. They have all kinds of dried soybeans but no peanuts. Finally, I decided to scrap the Pad Thai and opted instead for a bag of vegetable goyoza in the freezer section. I came home and pan fried a half dozen of those plump little dumplings. In addition, I remembered I had left over white rice and sesame tofu from Wednesday night's trip to the Chinese restaurant. I mixed in all of the half-used veggies from the week and I ended up with a delicious fried rice and vegetable dumpling plate. It took no time at all and it was so good. I love cleaning out the refrigerator in this way.



I must mention that I have developed a binder for vegetarian recipes. I find it so helpful. One of the problems I experienced in my past attempts to go meatless is that I had no decent source of recipes at hand. I would stand there like a deer in the headlights when it came time to cook. Nowadays though, there are so many places on-line to find good vegetarian recipes. I simply print them out and put them in my binder. I never get bored with meatless cooking because I keep getting visually inspired on-line and I keep adding new pages daily.

1 comment:

  1. Jane your creation sounds really yummy I may have to come up with some concoction of my own!!
    glad the meatless world is getting better for you
    I am still hanging in there. love the binder recipe idea!

    peace and hugs

    ReplyDelete