Monday, May 11, 2009

Day 11

Day 11. Still going strong. Yesterday, I was at my parent's house celebrating Mother's Day with a brunch. My mother made it easy for me. She only served one egg, cheese and sausage casserole. She was gracious enough to make another casserole which consisted of baked apple french toast. She also offered fresh fruit, corn bread and pumpkin bread. My brother and his wife were raving about the roasted kale chips they make. Well, I love using raw kale in my morning green smoothies. But the thought of kale chips intrigued me. I've been singing the praises of this nutritious leafy green for many months. Not only is it nutritious, it's also inexpensive. I can pick up a huge bag at the grocery store for about a dollar and it lasts me all week. Here's a little google information:

Kale is one of the healthiest foods around. It's full of vitamins A, C and K, and it is a great source of manganese, calcium and iron. It also has no cholesterol and offers a nice serving of fiber and protein.

This morning while I was getting my Bento Box ready for lunch, I tried the kale chips and I have to say that I am hooked already on this crunchy green goodness. Here is the recipe:

Roasted Kale with Sea SaltSeveral large leaves of kale
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil mixed with one crushed clove of garlic
1 teas. sea salt (I used kosher)
A grind or two of fresh pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Wash and trim the kale: Peel off the tough stems by folding the kale leaves in half like a book and stripping the stems off. Toss with extra virgin olive oil and garlic. Roast for five minutes on a cookie sheet. Turn kale over. Roast another 5 to 7 minutes until kale begins to turn slightly brown and becomes paper thin and brittle. Remove from oven and sprinkle with sea salt. Serve immediately.

Toss it in a bowl with olive oil and seasoning:

Spread it out on a cookie sheet and bake until crisp. I'm already envisioning this sprinkled on top of soups and mixed in with rice and sushi.

Check out today's Bento Box. With food this pretty and healthy, who would want to go back to meat?

1 comment: