Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Bleu Cheese Macaroni


This is the last "B" recipe for now. Tomorrow I'll be offering you a sweet "C" recipe. How could I let "B" end without glorifying my absolute favorite cheese of all time? I love bleu cheese so much and this dish certainly showcases it perfectly. I'll warn you now that this is not a typical kid-style mac and cheese. If you want to go for something over-the-top decadent, you've simply got to try this. It's rich, super creamy and filling; a little goes a long way. You may be cursing me for the calories, but you'll be thanking me for a forkful of Gorgonzola heaven.

Note: I cut the recipe in half for myself (with plenty leftover) and used whole milk instead of heavy cream. Also, start off with less Bleu Cheese and add acording to taste.

Bleu Cheese Macaroni
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup sliced green bell pepper
1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream or whole milk
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 cup crumbled blue cheese (or a little less if you don't want it so strong)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat combine butter, salt, pepper and bell peppers. Simmer until heated through. Stir in cream, flour, yogurt, bleu cheese and Parmesan cheese.
Stir cooked macaroni into cheese mixture and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment