Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Mock Beef Stroganoff


I've been walking the walk of shame since I started this blog. Honestly, I had the best intentions to go meatless. But once I fell of the vegetable truck, it was so hard to get back on it again. My honeymoon was spent in California recently. I got my fill of meat there and then some. On the plane ride home, I had hours to sit and think about my eating habits and nutrition. Since I've been home, I'm proud to say that I've gone meatless again with the exception of one little tiny slip when my son made an amazing dinner for all of us and I tasted a bite of his Chicken 1890.

Recently, I found a list of 40 easy recipes on RealSimple.com. Most of them were meat but I realized I could simply substitute the meat with tofu or mock beef wherever it was called for. Last night, I made a delicious and quick mock beef stroganoff. I poured it over a plate of warm and fluffy egg noodles. It was comfort food personified.

MOCK BEEF STROGANOFF
1 12-ounce package egg noodles
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 pound fresh mushrooms
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
1 package of beefless strips from Trader Joe
1 8-ounce container sour cream
2 1/2 tablespoons steak sauce

Directions

1. Cook the noodles according to the package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and salt and cook for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and bell pepper (if using) and cook for 5 minutes. Add the beefless strips and cook until warmed through, about 8 minutes.

2. In a small bowl, combine the sour cream and steak sauce and stir the mixture into the beef and mushrooms. Divide the drained noodles among individual plates and top with the stroganoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment