Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Butterscotch Oatmeal with Spiced Pumpkin Butter


I have no idea how you’re going to thank me for this recipe. It’s that heavenly. This past weekend, I found a small jackpot of pumpkin recipes. Since Fall is approaching quickly and the stores are loaded with pumpkins now, I simply couldn't wait to make some pumpkin butter and share it with you. Just one problem: Pumpkin butter starts with the letter P and I’m still on letter B. So I thought to myself, what can I put the pumpkin butter on so that I can still sneak it in now? Oatmeal came to mind but that starts with the letter O. Then, out of NOWHERE, the phrase Butterscotch Oatmeal with Spiced Pumpkin Butter hit me like a bolt of lightning. Butterscotch???? What the Hell? So I Googled it and found one obscure recipe! It turned out so incredibly phenomenal. Imagine the mellow flavor of butterscotch accented with the earthy spice of pumpkin butter. Then add on some toppings like toasted coconut, roasted almonds and crisp Granny Smith apple slivers. Oh my stars! Yes, you’ll find a way to thank me, I’m sure.


Butterscotch Oatmeal (from the collection of mrbreakfast.com)

(2 servings)

1 and 3/4 cups milk
1 cup rolled oats
1 egg - beaten
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons butter
In a medium-sized sauce pan at medium-high heat, combine milk, egg and brown sugar. Stir in the oats. Cook until you get a rapid boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until thick. When you get your desired consistency, stir in the butter until melted and mixed. Sprinkle with toppings.



Spiced Pumpkin Butter

2 cups canned pumpkin
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup apple juice
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt

In large heavy saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to boil, reduce heat. Cook uncovered, over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently. Careful for mixture splattering. Let it cool and spoon in to an airtight container. Store in refrigerator for 1 week; freezer for 6 months.

1 comment: