Thursday, May 14, 2009

Day 14

We are just a few short weeks away from summer here. I'm already planning to visit quite a few produce markets on the summer weekends. Sometimes I'm torn between buying produce at a Farmer's Market (pricey), a produce outlet (less pricey but sometimes not the best quality) or a regular super market. One of my favorite haunts is the Reading Terminal in Philadelphia. There is an Asian produce vendor who bags up tons of fresh fruit and vegetables for $1 a bag. I'm also passionate about photographing all of the colors and vibrant characters around me.

Summer brings me luscious berries for my green smoothies...

and pots of fresh herbs right outside my door. This year I'm growing onion chives, basil and sage. Can you just smell the fresh pesto and white beans with sage already??!

Recently, I scored a real treat at Wegman's. A container of mustard panko crumbs from Iron Chef. On sale for $1.49. Damn it, I wish I had bought every container on the shelf. Last night, I sauteed some mustard crumb tofu slabs in some olive oil and served it alongside a chopped salad, corn and mashed potatoes. Note to self: consider peanut oil or make sure to keep olive oil at a steady medium heat to prevent burning!) Regardless of a little char, it was delicious!

1 comment:

  1. OH dang, I wish I had read this BEFORE I went to Wegmans! I would have sooo bought the Panko!

    We're growing basil, lemon balm, rosemary, thyme, spearmint, peppermint, and lavender. All small right now, but I'm anticipating some yummy scents in the kitchen soon!

    ReplyDelete