Monday, July 7, 2014

Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Biscuits


I recently had brunch at Lovin' Oven in Frenchtown, NJ. On my plate was the most delicious grilled sweet potato biscuit.  It got me thinking yesterday that a homemade biscuit would be well worth the investment of time.  And I was right. It makes me happy when I know, and can pronounce, every ingredient that I'm ingesting. Plus, I love the feel of working dough in my hands. 

Last night I sliced one right out of the oven and used it as a bun for my Boca burger. I had a few left over so this morning I heated one and dressed it up with a pat of butter and a drizzle of honey. It was a delicious way to start my day.  I found the recipe at A Dash of Soul.


Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Biscuits
(yields 8)

Ingredients
  • 1 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1 T. sugar
  • ¼ t. baking soda
  • 1 T. baking powder
  • 6 T. cold butter
  • 1 c. cooked sweet potato flesh
  • 1 c. buttermilk (or plain milk combined with a couple teaspoons of vinegar)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  2. Pulse together the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda in a food processor.
  3. Cut the butter into cubes then add it to the food processor, pulsing until the butter is in pea sized pieces.
  4. Remove the mixture to a bowl and set aside.
  5. Puree the buttermilk and sweet potato in the food processor until completely smooth.
  6. Stir in the buttermilk/sweet potato mixture into the dry ingredients in the bowl, mixing only a few times JUST until it starts to become a dough.
  7. Liberally flour your hands and a cutting board and gently pat the dough out flat.
  8. Fold the dough over on itself and pat flat 4 or 5 times (this will help give you flaky layers but you don’t want to use a rolling pin or be too rough flattening the dough).
  9. Pat the dough out to about 1½” thickness. Use a biscuit cutter to cut 8 biscuits from the dough.
  10. Grease a baking sheet and arrange the biscuits so that they are all slightly touching each other.
  11. Bake in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the biscuits are a nice golden brown on the top and bottom.
  12. Serve warm!

1 comment: