Sunday, August 21, 2011

Banana Biscuits



I've recently fallen in love with Julie Hasson's Vegan Diner. There's not a bad recipe in the whole bunch. As I work my way through it, I decided to start with Banana Biscuits. It was so refreshing to realize that I had all the ingredients at my fingertips. Recently I started buying Vanilla Almond Breeze as an alternative to milk for my morning bowl of cereal. I think the Almond Breeze really contributes to the slight sweetness of the biscuit. Banana Biscuits are more dense like a scone. I think extra things could be added if you're feeling creative: walnuts, mini chocolate chips, etc. The warm baked banana chunks, cinnamon and sugar really make this biscuit outstanding! As a side note, I made my batch with 1 cup of white flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour. They turned out delicious.

When you mix everything together, the dough should look like this:

Place 9 generous scoops on a parchment lined baking sheet, dust them with cinnamon and sugar, pop these little gems in the oven and let them bake:


2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup almond milk or soy milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup canola oil
1 banana, cut in to quarters lengthwise and sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 400

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper

In large bowl, sift together flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.

Add the milk, oil, vanilla and banana to the flour mix and stir until the mixture comes together and is thick and sticky. Scoop 9 rounded balls of dough on to the prepared baking sheet.

In a small cup, mix sugar and cinnamon. Dust the top of the biscuits.

Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned for 20 minutes. Cool on a baking rack.

1 comment: