Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 25....off the wagon

The long holiday weekend is coming to a close today. This weekend I drove my vegetable wagon through some rough territory. So rough in fact that I fell right off the damn wagon. I wish I could say that it was a graceful sort of tumble. But it wasn't. I fell smack in to a heaping plate of freshly grilled burgers with mayonnaise and slabs of juicy tomatoes. My brother-in-law informed me that he just bought half of a prize winning cow from the nearby farmer and that the cow was completely grass fed and roamed free. Somehow, it made me feel a little better at the time I was scarfing down my second burger. At first I was horrified with myself and then I realized that my body has been screaming for this type of protein for the entire month. In addition, my body and mind have taken a beating with anxiety for the past few weeks. My body feels "off" and a little freaked at some of these changes I've been going through. At first, I wondered how I could go on with this blog if I gave in to the temptation of meat. Then I realized that this is a memoir which should tell the process of going meatless in a totally truthful way. I'm only human and this particular journey is about what happens over a year. There will be rough spots for sure. Just as there will be triumphs.

For now though, I'm going to scrub the red meat stains off of my white t-shirt and get back up on the wagon. I've been perusing my Deborah Madison vegetarian cook book for the past day looking for fresh redirection. This week, I'm going to cook up some mushroom lasagna with garlic bachemel sauce, some rice with pesto and pine nuts and some golden tofu with coconut curry sauce. Stay tuned.....

2 comments:

  1. Ok... So you are inspiring me here. Been Meatless now for about 2 weeks. Slipped up once, and glad to know you did too, makes me feel human.. Well not glad that you slipped up, you know what I mean... LOL When I slip, and think of all that meet rotting in my stomach, I try to think of that feeling when I have a craving for deep fried bacon. OH yes, I said deep fried bacon - for those times when you CANT wait for it to be fried in a pan! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane don't be so hard on yourself you are doing a great job!



    peace and hugs

    ReplyDelete