Friday, August 14, 2009

Chewy Peanut Butter Brownies and a product review



I keep a binder in my kitchen that holds all of the interesting meatless recipes that I find on the Internet. It was a rainy day yesterday and I thought it would be the perfect day to bake something. I tried these Chewy Peanut Butter Brownies and I have to say that they are delicious. Not too sweet. Made with whole wheat flour. Very dense and moist. Perfectly paired with a glass of cold vanilla soymilk. When I make these again, I think I'll melt some milk chocolate and swirl it through the batter for an extra touch of sweetness.

INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup margarine, softened
2/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons water
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees Celsius). Grease a 9x9 inch baking pan.
In a large mixing bowl, beat together margarine and sugars; add eggs one at a time, and beat until mixture is light and fluffy. Stir in peanut butter, vanilla, and water.
In a separate mixing bowl, mix together flours with salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir into peanut butter mixture and blend well. Spread batter into the prepared pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top springs back when touched. Cool and cut into 16 squares.

Let's talk presentation for a moment, shall we? Every desert deserves to be elevated to new heights..literally. Here, I took an old glass candlestick and an old plate that I found at a thrift store. I took some epoxy and glued the two together. Let the epoxy set for a few hours (even overnight) and the result is a fabulous cake stand for all of your sweet treats. People will think you spent a small fortune for it at a little swank kitchen shop but you know that all it cost you was an old plate and a candlestick. I've seen this done where people actually managed to drill through the china and embellish the plate with old crystal chandelier pieces. Let your imagination do the work. In addition, you can bring this as a hostess gift to your next dinner party or luncheon.

Now on the product review. Yesterday, I stopped at the grocery store for a few items and I found these luscious yogurt treats. I've been to this Acme a million times and I've never seen this brand before. Bonus: it was on sale. How could I resist such names as Relax: Vanilla Chai, Calm: Plum Honey Lavender and Exotic: Orange Strawberry Mango? Each one has lived up to it's Delicious name. I'm going back for a few more today while they're still on sale. I took it upon myself to do a nutrition comparison with the Wegman's brand that I buy for Breen.

Rachel's: Wegman's:
Calories..150 170
Total Fat..2.5G 2G
Fiber......1g 0G
Sugars.....23G 31G
Total Carbs..25G 32G
Protein....8G 7G

No comments:

Post a Comment