Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ravioli with herbed mustard sauce



I recently came across this recipe on line. I made it for lunch last week when my mother came to help me around the house. The original recipe calls for gnocci instead of ravioli and dijon mustard. I loved every bite of it but I realized that it was pretty filling due to the density of the gnocci and the kick from the straight dijon mustard.

Today I made it for lunch and I switched the gnocci with ravioli and the dijon mustard with dijonaise (Hellman's Brand). The result was a much lighter tasting version with a smoother tasting mustard sauce. This dish is so incredibly satisfying and is probably the easiest and quickest dish I've made to date. So far, it has become one of my very favorites.




Ravioli with Herbed Mustard Sauce

One bag of frozen ravioli
4 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons Dijonaise
4 Tablespoon whole milk or half and half
3-4 leaves of fresh sage, chopped finely
2 Tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
fresh black pepper
a few tablespoons toasted walnut pieces
Parmesan cheese

In a pot, cook ravioli according to directions. When finished, drain and divide on to serving plates.

To make the mustard sauce, melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat (DO NOT LET IT BURN). Add the mustard and whisk until blended. Add the milk, sage, pepper and half the chives. Let it all heat together.

Pour the mustard sauce over the ravioli and sprinkle with the remaining chives, toasted walnuts and a few shakes of Parmesan cheese. If I was making this for dinner, I'd probably serve it with some grilled cherry tomatoes and a loaf of french bread.

2 comments:

  1. again another great find
    I am learning a lot from you !!!




    Peace and Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMMM That looks SO good!! I am going to have to try that for sure!!

    ReplyDelete