Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ridiculously simple "A" recipes

I'm nearing the end of the "A" recipes and I'll be a busy bee researching some "B" foods, which will start next week. Today, my "A" choices hardly need any explanations; I think they speak for themselves!

Sometimes in the afternoon, I crave a nice healthy snack with my green smoothie. I can think of nothing better than red delicious apple slices slathered with triple cream Castello Blue Cheese. You want the recipe? Simple. Slice an apple and spread on the blue cheese. There are all kinds of yummy, buttery blue cheeses ranging from Castello to Saga. Pears work well with the cheese too. So do Asian Pears, which are a funky hybrid of pear and apple.



Another favorite for me is the Avocado. I could eat them right out of their skins with a little shaker of sea salt and garlic powder. But this week, I've been slicing them and making whole wheat pita sandwiches for lunch. For an added special treat, I take a few tablespoons of light mayonnaise and blend it with crushed garlic, sea salt and pepper. It makes a lovely spread that really enhances the flavor of the avocado. I toast my pita bread, open it up and stuff it with avocado slices, fresh tomatoes and lettuce. Serve it up with some kale chips!

1 comment: